Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position is responsible for performing thin film coatings on optical components. The position operates, repairs, maintains the coating tools, shields, and chambers. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations. Working hours are from 3:00pm - 11:00pm.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Operate thin film vacuum coating chambers, automated and manual control for catalog production, as well as, research and development projects.
- Chamber preparation, loading and unloading of substrates.
- Cleans and prepares optical components for coating, when necessary.
- Basic chamber maintenance, cleaning and filament changes
- Perform basic troubleshooting of vacuum chambers
- Operate Metrology tools for characterization of thin films, including, spectrophotometry, interferometry, photometry, absorption testing
- Develop, design and optimize optical thin film designs and deposition processes/ to meet requirements, for ion beam sputtering, ion assist and electron beam coating processes
- Work closely with technicians to resolve technical issues. Manage defect issues, implement root cause solutions to those issues, and continuously promote and implement process improvement, quality and cost performance
- Maintain all production, process, quality and equipment records
- Promote and maintain good housekeeping and safety practices
- 5+ years of experience of optical thin film coating experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience with thin film software and a good understanding of optical thin film design
- Strong experience maintaining and troubleshooting coating equipment.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Ability and desire to work in a team environment and to interact with production supervisor, technicians and design engineers.
- Computer proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint) and Sharepoint.
- Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Materials Science, or one of the Engineering disciplines.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to design AR and HR coatings from UV to mid IR
- Knowledgeable of good housekeeping and safety practices in a clean room environment
- Strong problem solving/analysis skills.
- Strong sense of confidentiality & ethical conduct.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.