Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
We are currently looking for an MBE Epitaxial Growth Scientist to join our team. The MBE Epitaxial Growth Scientist is responsible for performing epitaxial growth of compound semiconductor device structures, characterization of these materials, documentation of processes and process development, the necessary maintenance of growth lab and ancillary equipment, and interfacing with the laser design team.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Perform epitaxial growth of As, P and Sb based Group III - Group V materials & devices by MBE
- Documentation of growth run & characterization data & processes.
- Perform X-ray diffraction analysis, photoluminescence,, and other measurements of grown materials
- Manage laboratory equipment maintenance including contractor supervision. Includes troubleshooting and repair of electrical, control, gas flow and vacuum systems associated with MBE growth tool
- Ability to perform basic electrical and optical measurements of laser devices; design of experiment for growth processes
- Work independently with other members of engineering development team in the development and implementation of new optical components for current and future Thorlabs products
- Write up and present technical growth developments for internal and external dissemination; good communication skills in English absolutely required
- Utilize ERP system for growth accounting & documentation
- Ability to work on ITAR related product(s)
- Minimum of 5+ years of related experience
- Minimum of Master’s degree or higher in materials science, electrical engineering or closely related discipline
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Hands on competency with molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) and high vacuum systems. Solid phosphorous experience in MBE is extremely desirable.
- Deep understanding of semiconductor laser device physics and processing, including double heterostructure & distributed feedback lasers. Quantum cascade laser experience a plus but not necessary.
- Hands on competency with high purity gas and vacuum systems including ability to troubleshoot equipment problems.
- Hands on hazardous material experience
- Strong electrical & mechanical aptitude required to maintain or troubleshoot equipment. Experience with computer control systems desired.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications. Database experience a plus.
- Excellent communication abilities, familiarity with control system hardware and software, & general computer competence
- Must be physically able to use self-contained breathing apparatus per medical exam
- Direct hands on experience in performing epitaxial growth by MBE.
- Strong familiarity with electronic and optical test equipment and methodology
- Strong familiarity with hazardous materials safety.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.