Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs seeks a Fiber Laser Product Development Engineer to work at the Thorlabs Quantum Electronics facility located in Jessup, MD in the Baltimore-Washington area. Candidate will work as part of the Fiber Laser R&D team to research and develop scientific fiber laser technologies. Candidate will be responsible for designing and testing femtosecond fiber lasers utilizing knowledge of mode-locked fiber laser cavity design, dispersion and nonlinearity management, and hands-on prototype building skills. Additional R&D areas include novel mid-infrared fiber laser and amplifier technologies. Candidate will also be responsible for completing the product release process and transferring to production.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Designing, building, and testing breadboard and prototype fiber lasers for scientific applications;
- Interacting with design team to assist in overall development of the product;
- Developing test procedures, writing user manuals, and training manufacturing and service personnel for transition of products from research and development to manufacturing;
- Creating specifications to purchase fiber components, semiconductor lasers, and test equipment;
- Providing technical support to Manufacturing, Marketing and Service.
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience in development and implementation of femtosecond fiber laser designs in either academia or industry
- Master of Science in Physics, Optics, or other related engineering disciplines
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Hands-on experience building fiber lasers and amplifiers;
- Strong understanding of femtosecond pulse propagation in fiber including the effects of dispersion and nonlinearity;
- Knowledge of mode-locked fiber laser designs and theory of operation;
- Experience with femtosecond pulse characterization such as auto-correlator, FROG or SPIDER;
- Knowledge of core-pumped and cladding-pumped active fiber systems;
- Hands-on experience working with fiber fusion splicer and cleaver
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.