Calling the adventurers ready to join a company that's pushing the limits of nanotechnology to keep the digital revolution rolling. At KLA-Tencor, we're making technology advancements that are bigger—and tinier—than the world has ever seen.
Who are we? We research, develop, and manufacture the world's most advanced inspection and measurement equipment for the semiconductor and nanoelectronics industries. We enable the digital age by pushing the boundaries of technology, creating tools capable of finding defects smaller than a wavelength of visible light. We create smarter processes so that technology leaders can manufacture high-performance chips—the kind in that phone in your pocket, the tablet on your desk and nearly every electronic device you own—faster and better. We're passionate about creating solutions that drive progress and help people do what wouldn't be possible without us. The future is calling. Will you answer?
Group / Division
The Global Service Support Organization (GSS) team headquartered in Milpitas, CA is our service organization that consists of Service Sales and Marketing, Spares Supply Chain management, Field Operations, Product Training, and Technical Support. The GSS organization partners with our field teams and customers in all business sectors to maintain the high performance and productivity of our products through a flexible portfolio of services. Our comprehensive services include: proactive management of tools to identify and improve performance; expertise in optics, image processing and motion control with worldwide service engineers, 24/7 technical support teams and knowledge management systems; and an extensive parts network to ensure worldwide availability of parts.
As a product engineer, you will be actively engaged in the New Product Introduction process for our advanced broadband plasma systems for defect inspection of patterned semiconductor wafers covering multiple aspects of product development and service readiness. This includes driving serviceability requirements for various system and subsystems. The engineer must possess strong sense of purpose and be self-driven to continually improve self, others, and processes. Future serviceability improvements include cost of service reductions, operational efficiency, creating new technologies and ideas, and new structures and ways of servicing the systems. Work requires interaction with many disciplines as the product engineer plays the central role in the serviceability product development throughout different phases. Strong oral and written communication skills are required. Some travel might be required. We are looking for candidates who are seeking professional growth and can demonstrate leadership attributes.
This position will be focused on both Optical and Systems Engineer disciplines. Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Assisting/participating in building and maintaining optical and opto-mechanical test benches & prototype systems for development and testing of new subsystems.
- Collaborate with systems and design engineers to develop and execute test plans, collect and analyze test data, and synthesize results to help make decisions for product designs and specifications. Will be responsible for documenting results and tracking behavior to understand subsystem performance, serviceability, and reliability for both in-house and fielded systems.
- Develop and review tooling and procedures to build, maintain and troubleshoot complex optics and opto-mechanical/ electrical subsystems as well as the entire wafer inspection system.
- Gain a systems-engineering level knowledge of highly complex, leading edge wafer inspection systems by working with design engineers during the development process.
- Implement and track progress of the new product introduction process. This will include cost of service analysis and modeling, FRU parts characterization, diagnostic improvements, software feature requirements development, training plan, stocking plan and documentation plan.
- Manage beta support of product release and continuous improvement plans. Be able to set up beta and ensure good planning for success. During beta track performance, investigate issues and determine root cause. Provide both feedback and updates to engineering on progress and ensure all issues are driven to closure.
- Help develop and document maintenance, troubleshooting, and part replacement procedures.
- Write technical reports to communicate issues, analysis, technical assessments, system status, and engineering recommendations.
- Support internal and external customers in the operation, installation, upgrade, diagnosis, repair and application of semiconductor wafer inspection systems.
- Respond to situations where first-line support has failed to resolve problems by providing written plans of action by e-mail or hands-on assistance at customer sites in the US, Asia, and Europe.
- Train tech support personnel and others and assist in developing training materials.
- Act as a two-way conduit for information transfer between the engineers who are responsible for designing our products and field service teams who are responsible for product maintenance and support.
- The person who will thrive in this job is interested in technology, human factors, and business, is motivated by helping others succeed and by driving improvements, and enjoys communicating and building working relationships.
- BS required (MS or Ph.D. preferred) in Physics, IT/Software/Networking, Electronics, Optics, Mechanical, Software or related technical field.
- Hands-on experience designing, building, operating, and/or troubleshooting complex instruments, such as experimental research instruments, medical systems, or semiconductor capital equipment.
- Knowledge of electronics, software, and/or mechanical systems.
- Results oriented and driven to excel.
- Enjoys teaching, troubleshooting, working with groups of people, and explaining complex things as simply as possible.
- Strong analytic and data analysis skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary, multicultural teams and to take a leadership role when needed.
- Quick grasp of challenging, complex technical information.
- Natural curiosity, inventiveness, and an interest in making things work better.
- Availability for travel both domestically and internationally.
- Ability to work non-standard working hours including weekends and holidays.
- Multi-lingual proficiency in Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, German or French is highly desirable.
- Military veterans are encouraged to apply
- Bachelor's Level Degree with at least 3 years of experience OR
- Master's Level Degree with at least 2 years of experience OR
- Doctorate (Academic)
KLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.