(Senior or Principal) Electronics Engineer
|Newport Corporation, Irvine, CA, United States|
MKS Instruments, Inc. is the parent company of Newport Corporation®, Spectra-Physics® and Ophir®, leaders in photonics, optics, lasers and motion/vibration control. MKS is a worldwide leader in technology solutions for thin film, process and industrial manufacturing, environmental monitoring, defense and security, life sciences and research.
MKS Instruments, Inc. is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity employer. We solicit and hire applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected category. Our policy is to employ the most qualified applicants. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with company policies and federal and state guidelines.
Globally, our policy is to recruit individuals from wide and diverse backgrounds. However, certain positions require access to controlled goods and technologies subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Applicants for these positions may need to be “U.S. persons.” “U.S. persons” are generally defined as U.S. citizens, noncitizen nationals, lawful permanent residents (or, green card holders), individuals granted asylum, and individuals admitted as refugees.
The ISB Division (formerly Newport Corp.) of MKS Instruments Corp is currently recruiting for a Senior Electronic Test Engineer for hands-on design, testing, and manufacturing of electronic and opto-electronic modules and subsystems with emphasis on Test Development.
- Test and troubleshoot analog and digital electronic circuits, firmware, and software
- Develop control and test software using LabView and other development tools
- Design and set up test systems and fixtures for R&D and production process
- Develop test process and procedures, fully support transition to manufacturing
- Collect, compile, and analyze data from different test systems and prepare reports
- Perform tolerance analysis of the systems and test and results validation.
- Support Design for Manufacturability and Value Engineering as well as working to the highest quality standards
- Design architecture, schematics, printed circuit boards layouts, generate drawings, BOMs, and documentation
- Design electrical systems with lasers, drivers, motors, controllers, sensors, etc.
- Design and make system block diagrams and drawings (including drawings for sub-systems, cables, and interfaces)
- Work in a team as well as an individual contributor, network with internal and external customers
- Make independent technical decisions and take responsibility for module, subsystem, or entire system design
- BS or MS in an Electrical Engineering or equivalent and minimum 5 years of relevant industry experience
- Proficiency with LabView and minimum of 5 years of direct LabView coding experience
- Proficiency in setting up test systems including multi-protocol test equipment and interfaces
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on experience of setting up hardware with LabView integration
- Hands-on with Lab equipment (oscilloscopes, multimeters, power supplies, generators, etc.)
- Hands-on experience with electronic components, boards, sub-systems, and systems
- Knowledge of embedded and industrial interfaces and standards (GPIB, UARTS, SPI, I2C, RS-232/485, USB, etc.)
- Ability to read and generate electrical and mechanical drawings
- Soldering and lab skills (wiring, testing, etc.)
- Able to perform tolerance analysis to verify fit and function of designs.
- Ability and willingness to provide direct or indirect customer support on various products
- Must have a balance of strong analytical skills and hands-on system development with a proven track record of bringing multiple systems to completion and successful usage throughout their career.
- Strong communication skills, technical writing skills, project management skills, and analytical skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Visio, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Additional desirable skills:
- Hands-on experience with laser systems is a big plus
- Knowledge of analog electronics including operational amplifiers and discrete components
- Mixed signal experience, ADC/DAC circuits development skills
- Experience with digital systems and microcontrollers, especially ARM/Cortex-M, embedded integrated development environment (IDE), especially Keil IDE and knowledge of RTOS
- Experience with PCB design software packages, especially Altium Designer
- Understanding design flow and principles of electronic design including schematic, board design, routing, and PCB manufacturing process
- Knowledge of SW/FW architecture and development
- Knowledge and experience with safety requirements (electrical system safety, laser safety, interlocks, shutters, etc.)
- Work experience with sensors and interfaces
- Knowledge of motors, controllers, and power electronics
- Knowledge of control systems (PID, feedback, etc.), automation, mechatronics
- Familiarity with CE certifications and requirements
Strong team building and interpersonal communication skills are essential for success. The individual will be expected to create a strong sphere of influence to assemble multi-disciplinary groups of individuals into teams to identify and solve ongoing technology issues through effective implementation of daily tactical tasks. The individual must exhibit the ability to analyze complex technical situations and resolve issues, apply appropriate engineering problem solving, and keep the project development timetable on schedule. Individual must have a high level of initiative, judgment, and keen problem solving skills to resolve complex technical and business issues that are diverse in nature.