Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs is currently seeking applications from experimental scientists with a Ph.D. degree in physics, optics, lasers, imaging, or a related field to support our effort to inform and educate the photonics’ community about Thorlabs’ products and their applications. The Thorlabs website is the primary portal through which our content (product presentations, tutorials, videos, animations, etc.) is published.
The successful candidate will join a team of highly motivated individuals who have built an industry-leading online resource for our customers and participate in defining and developing Thorlabs’ next generation of products and services. In support of that mission, he or she should be highly familiar with a wide range of photonics equipment, be able to see linkages between Thorlabs’ product lines, and be able to make significant recommendations for improvement to our product offerings and web functionality. In addition to extensive laboratory experience, the candidate should also have strong writing and presentation skills in English, excellent organizational skills, the ability to work under time constraints, and a desire to learn about new technologies.
Technical marketing scientists work closely with graphic artists to create marketing collateral. Original product content is based on basic information provided by Thorlabs’ engineers and business unit leaders as well as knowledge gained from using similar products in the field. Hence, this position requires strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Leverages extensive product knowledge to identify, implement, and track product presentation enhancement aimed at improving product performance
- Reviews web materials for technical writing scientists to ensure they meet Thorlabs’ standards for technical accuracy, writing style, and aesthetics
- Develops and implements plans for website reorganization
- Develops, implements, and tracks search engine optimization projects for various product lines
- Develops effective content and application images based on Thorlabs’ product lines for use in various forms of marketing collateral
- Partner with the graphics staff to create product videos and animations
- Learns and implements best practices for building website content
- Participates in defining and developing new product and/or product enhancements
- Identifies or invents new web tools and features that improve customers’ experiences when interacting with our website
- Additional responsibilities may include participating in and leading marketing projects and attending tradeshows
- Ph.D. in Physics, Optics, Lasers, or a related field. Post doc experience a plus.
- Strong writing and presentation skills in English
- Extensive hands-on laboratory experience with exposure to multiple product lines
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Ability to multitask, be detail oriented, and solve problems, all while under tight time constraints
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.