Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The Scientific Editor role is responsible for strengthening Thorlabs’ position as a leading manufacturer of photonics equipment by reviewing technical content prior to publication and ensuring that it is technically accurate, grammatically correct, and adheres to Thorlabs’ style standards. For presentations tied to new product introduction, the candidate will also ensure the items appear in all appropriate places on the ecommerce site. To fulfill these responsibilities, the ideal candidate will hold a Ph.D. degree in physics, optics, lasers, imaging, or a closely related field, have extensive laboratory experience that has led to a high level of familiarity with Thorlabs’ extensive product line, and have prior editing experience. In addition, the candidate should also have strong writing and presentation skills in English, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to work under time constraints.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Reviews content/material submitted by technical marketers for technical accuracy, grammar, and adherence to Thorlabs’ style guidelines/templates and then works with technical staff to finalize presentations prior to publication
- Assesses and comments on whether presentations are appropriately positioned on the ecommerce site
- Develops comprehensive knowledge of Thorlabs’ product portfolio
- 5 years of applicable experience
- Ph.D. in Physics, Optics, Lasers
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong writing and presentation skills in English
- Ability to manage and facilitate updates on a timely basis
- Extensive hands-on laboratory experience with photonics equipment exposure to multiple product lines
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Ability to multitask, be detail oriented, and solve problems, all while under tight time constraints
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.