Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs has an exciting opportunity for an experienced software engineer to work on state-of-the-art imaging platforms that facilitate research and development in a broad range of life-sciences and material sciences applications. This position would include application development that interfaces with our digital cameras and other devices. An ideal candidate would have solid visual/interactive design skills and experience interfacing with hardware devices. Our focus is on highly modular, object-oriented design using proven design principles such as the S.O.L.I.D. to ensure high product quality and versatility. You will be using technologies such as .NET 4.6.1 and Visual Studio 2017 Professional with Resharper.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Development and maintenance of Thorlabs Scientific Imaging 3rd-party interfaces
- Creation of automated test fixtures and software test utilities
- Contributor to overall camera software and system test plans
- Contributor to development of proprietary manufacturing software tools
- Maintenance of existing software installer
- Model-View-ViewModel (MVVM) architecture experience
- C and C++ experience
- Experience writing customer-friendly, extensible APIs for devices and algorithm libraries
- Image-acquisition and/or analysis experience using C, C++, and/or C#
- Unit-testing experience
- Experience using performance profilers such as the Visual Studio profiler, ANTS, or JustTrace
- Visual- and interactive-design training and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related scientific field
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Five or more years of client-side Windows application development
- Experience in hardware control and communication protocols
- Three or more years of intensive WPF experience, at least some of it working on complex, high-performance applications
- Direct experience writing complex custom-controls including control templates in WPF
- Strong C# language and threading skills
- Strong understanding of coding principles and patterns such as the interface-segregation principle, the single-responsibility principle, and encapsulation
- Energetic and passionate about working through complex design/implementation challenges, practicing new design principles, and delivering results with highest standards
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.