Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The demo system Engineer will be solely in charge of all imaging systems demo systems, from technical, logistical and coordination perspective. The demo engineer is a highly technical position, that requires to have (or obtain) deep understanding in the function and market of imaging systems, and the ability to build, calibrate and operate imaging Systems. This new position is a perfect entry level, learning opportunity for an engineer who wants to join the Imaging Systems group, and develop hisher career in the Life Science Imaging Systems field.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Demo Equipment
- Build, QC and repair fully functioning and static Demo Systems such as Multiphoton Microscopes, Confocal Microscopes, Widefield Microscopes, static displays, etc.
- Inventory Control and Inventory Planning of tradeshow demo systems throughout the year, for all life science tradeshows worldwide (Inventory Tracking, Inventory Transactions, etc.)
- Work closely with the sales, R&D and support teams worldwide, for the coordination of demos and tradeshows.
- Coordinating logistics of Demo Equipment Movement (Scheduling with Tradeshow Coordinators, Shipping domestic and International, etc.)
- Review regularly our tradeshow planning, new shows available and new opportunities. Work with multiple teams (R&D, engineering, marketing, sales), to determine which shows to attend and what demos to show.
- Planning New Demo Equipment for new products about to be released, and coordinating with production or engineers to have parts for demo systems on-time. Keeping up to date on new product release and new products related to life science shows, both by local imaging systems team, as well as other teams across the company.
- Designing optimal Packaging for Demo Systems Based on Demo/Tradeshow/Course Requirement
- Generate Special and Periodic Reports to track performance, cost, utilization and return on investment (ROI) for the high value demo systems
- Support Tradeshow Attendees at tradeshow site and remotely.
- Will Occasionally be asked to attend tradeshow and travel to setup for Tradeshows/ Demos and Courses
- Travel to customer sites to arrange on site demos or roadshows
- Work closely with global tradeshow coordinator in HQ
- Previous experience in a support service or applications role for either microscopes, or other highly technical scientific products preferred
- A minimum of Bachelor's degree. Preferred in optics, physical sciences or engineering discipline
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong sense of ownership
- Strong Organizational and Logistical skills, Attention to detail
- Ability to multitask, be detail oriented, and solve problems, all while under time constraints
- Data manipulation skills (Advanced user of Excel or equivalent)
- Eagerness to learn about new technologies, applications, and business models.
- MS Office, ERP such as Microsoft AX or equivalent (optional but preferred)
- Hands-on Experience Building Microscopes, Imaging Systems or other Photonics based setups in the lab
- Experience working with Thorlabs products is highly desirable
- Willingness for travel up to 25% of the time.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.