Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
This is a great opportunity to join the rapidly growing Thorlabs Quantum Electronics (TQE). TQE oversees the development and manufacture of semiconductor lasers and photonic subsystems for defense, medical, industrial, and research applications. The ideal candidate for this position is a self-motivated leader with an entrepreneurial spirit who thrives in a fast-paced, creative environment. You will lead a team focused on meeting customer’s needs and expectations through product design and development. You must have experience with product and process design, project management and managing a broad technical staff.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Leads a team of engineers and technical resources responsible for developing new products and product line ideas including improving existing products and driving them to market
- Interfaces with customer to identify opportunities for the development of new products through data and market analysis as well as a variety of other sources
- Ensures that the proper scope and specifications are established with customer and maintained throughout the product development cycle
- Develops and maintains both the group’s and product development program’s budgets
- Ensures that new products are designed for manufacturability and thoroughly tested.
- Works with Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing, Purchasing and Planning departments throughout TQE and other business units
- Selects, develops, trains and supervises technical staff
- Develops and implements methods and procedures aimed at monitoring projects and KPIs
- Prepares and delivers presentations to executive management
- Supports tradeshows and exhibitions of TQE Products when required
- Advises in the creation, implementation and maintenance of all SOP’s
- Maintains drawings, documentation and information integrity in accordance to ISO and Thorlabs quality standards.
- Minimum 10 years of experience as an Engineering Manager/Product Design Manager. Must have previous management experience; directing and managing individuals with different technical backgrounds in complex electro-optics products
- Project management experience preferred
- Proven background in getting products to market on time and on budget
- Master's or PhD degree in Physics, Optical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of semiconductor lasers, fiber optics and optical design
- Manufacturing and design experience with small, tightly toleranced optical components
- Thorough understanding of BOM creation as well as MRP and ERP Systems
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law