Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position will be responsible for the firmware and electronics associated with a Stewart platform (hexapod) system, along with other microscopy related products. Activities will primarily be coding, testing and debugging these systems to meet ever changing customer requirements. This position requires troubleshooting complex electronics and system problems, and being committed to customer satisfaction. Although the location of the position is in Sterling, VA, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop electronics for precision scientific instruments and peripherals
- Develop firmware to control and monitor a number instruments within one integrated system
- Take a design from an initial concept through prototyping, debugging and manufacturing phases
- Work with customers to diagnose problems or develop novel solutions to their needs
- Troubleshoot and resolve electronics related system issues
- Manage electronics engineering documentation and material specifications
- Develop test fixtures for manufacturing
- 3+ years’ experience with electronics design for motion control, robotics, or kinematic systems.
- Substantial experience in embedded programming associated with motion control and integrated systems
- Experience computer level software for interfacing to motion control systems
- Experience with standard lab diagnostic tools such as oscilloscopes, DAQ systems, interferometers, power supplies etc.
- Experience with schematic reading and circuit exploration for debugging purposes (Altium software a plus)
- Experience with OpenCV in embedded systems is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Electronics Engineering or experience in a related field such as Mechatronics and Scientific Instrumentation
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough understanding of embedded hardware, such as microprocessor and microcontroller based control and monitoring circuits
- Knowledge of C/C++ in an embedded environment is a must
- Proven expertise in troubleshooting and resolving electronic issues in embedded systems
- Familiarity with USB data transfer protocols on both sides, embedded and host system
- Strong communication skills and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in working in a small team environment.
- Strong innovation skills.
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law