Responsible for design and development of laser diode structures and fabrication processes to meet the needs of the product development team.
- Design and development of new laser diode structures and fabrication processes
- Work with interdepartmental teams and external teams to ensure design objectives are met.
- Initiate requirements for fabrication of new laser diode structures.
- Develop software tools for analysis and reporting of laser diode performance data
- Collect and analyze data to provide conclusion and path forward.
- Monitor and report performance of the laser diode designs to the management team
- Specify and participate in the design and setup of new test systems needed to measure laser diode performance
- Maintains knowledge of state-of-the-art principles for the advancement of performance of laser diodes.
- Formulate and execute DOEs for process development/process optimization
- Interface with process development suppliers
- Qualify and document new processes
- Initiate and design masks as necessary for new device geometries
- Qualify processed wafers for engineering and new product development programs
- Develop plans to improve laser fabrication processes
- Monitor engineering process lots through the entire fabrication process and maintain/analyze process metrology data (ellipsometry, transmittance and reflectance spectroscopy, thickness and CD profilometry, stress measurements, four-point probe) to ensure wafers are processed to desired specifications
- Perform wafer characterization of engineering lots using optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, EDX
- Analyze and correlate process data and device performance
- Transfer new processes to the manufacturing team - train operators/technicians in new processes
- Support teams to trouble-shoot and solve process issues in the areas of photolithography, dry and wet etch, metallization, lap & polish, PECVD, dicing and cleaving, facet coating
- Participate in Engineering team meetings, Program Status meetings and Design Review meetings as necessary
- Participate in design reviews with internal and external customers
- Participate in development of patent applications.
Ph.D. in Physics, Material Science, Engineering Physics, Chemical Engineering or Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 2 years of post-doctoral or industrial experience in development of laser diodes in opto-electronic semiconductor manufacturing or M.S. degree with minimum of 5 years experience.
Must have expert knowledge of semiconductor materials, device fabrication, and assembly technologies used in the opto-electronics industry. Demonstrated experience with formulating and implementing process DOEs. Knowledge of SPC. Good trouble-shooting and problem solving skills Must be detail oriented and possess good data analysis skills. Experience with one or more of minitab, mathematica, matlab or similar software preferred. Clear verbal and written communication skills and ability to work in a team environment and multi-tasking required. Experience with LEdit or similar software.
Knowledge of photolithography, wet etch processing, dry etch (RIE, ICP) processes, thin film deposition (e-beam evaporation, sputter deposition, ion beam deposition, PECVD, electroplating) with strong hands-on knowledge in two or more areas; knowledge of semiconductor characterization tools and analytical techniques and hands-on experience with ellipsometry, spectrophotometry, profilometry, optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, EDX
[NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.]