Manufacturing Test Engineer
|Coherent, Portland, OR, United States|
At Coherent, Inc., we have harnessed the power of light to become the world's leading independent designer, manufacturer and supplier of high-powered precision electro-optical components and laser-based solutions for medical, scientific and commercial applications. And although that alone is impressive, what truly makes Coherent, Inc. unique is our work environment. It's a strong, stable work environment that values the individual and places a premium on teamwork. Couple that with tremendous growth potential and the only thing that'll will be growing faster than Coherent will be your career. With an incredible range of innovative medical, scientific and commercial lasers, Coherent, Inc. is home to the most talented professionals in the laser and optical industry. Come learn more about us. We're searching for others like ourselves to join the brightest team in the business.
Coherent Laser Systems and Measurement (LSM) designs and manufactures precision solid state lasers for scientific, medical, instrumentation and vision markets, as well as calibrated laser measurement systems for a wide variety of laser type and power applications. The business provides critical technology to thousands of global customers with a wide range of products specifically tailored to satisfy demanding customer requirements. LSM is located just minutes South of Portland, Oregon and enjoys spectacular North West weather and activity opportunities.
- Software and Data Acquisition
- Develop new test software for data acquisition, instrument control, motion control, analysis and generation of test parameters as well as output test results into database.
- Perform test station and test software validation, and GR&R studies.
Demonstrate knowledge of and experience creating and maintaining Labview applications for use in a manufacturing environment for product data acquisition and equipment control
- Programming skills for automated data acquisition and/or equipment control within manufacturing processes in dot Net, Visual Basic, and other is a plus
- Electronics and Equipment
- Demonstrate ability to troubleshoot electronic products at board and schematic level
- Support the production testing of electronic assemblies
- Propose test instrument selection, monitoring, maintaining and recommending improvements for all stations to improve quality of products.
- Understanding of electronics engineering concepts. Ability to read and understand engineering schematics and theory of operations.
- Experience with electronics manufacturing topics, such as component engineering, ESD controls, assembly methods
- Experience collaborating with purchasing department setting up and supporting new and current material suppliers
- Strong self-starter with experience managing multiple projects with accountability and ownership.
- Knowledge and understanding of design for manufacturability across a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Understanding of MRP planning systems and Bill of Material structures.
- Data analysis and reporting, able to use data gathering and reporting tools to prepare informational reports and analyses.
- Structured problem solving and strong communication skills
- Effective procedure development and documentation skills
- Hands-on experience with optical alignment, opto-mechanical assembly and test, including the use of optical and electrical photonics test equipment is a plus.
- Experience with Calibration Lab Management and Uncertainty of Measurements is a plus
- Experience working within Oracle MRP/ERP a plus
- Provide test engineering support, including calibration, data acquisition, software controls, maintenance and troubleshooting, and training for manufacturing test stations.
- Provide electronics engineering support for products and processes within manufacturing
- Provide ongoing product design support necessary to improve product quality and cost.
- Collaborates and provides test/process engineering input with design engineering and product engineering in coordinating the release of new products from design-phase into production.
- Review new product specifications and provide feedback on test methodology and feasibility
- Maintain and improve existing test solutions through software and/or hardware upgrades
- Diagnose and debug product and manufacturing issues with corrective action implementation.
- Interface with Product Line Managers and lead the release of limited design product variants in operations.
- Ensure the timely communication of assigned project progress through a weekly formal presentation of key metrics, project schedules and action item lists.
- Estimates manufacturing cost, determines time standards, and makes recommendations for equipment and process requirements of new and existing product lines.
- Reviews BOM structures and submits changes required to structure for optimal manufacturing effectiveness, coordinating with planners, buyers and production management.
- Perform other tasks as requested and assigned in support of business objectives.
- B.S. or B.A. Engineering degree in Electronics, or related Engineering disciplines
- 5 years’ experience with electronics, and data acquisition and control
- 5-10 years’ experience in Test Engineering, Process Engineering, and/or Manufacturing Engineering
- Practical experience on computer based test automation, data acquisition, instrument control, motion control, and data storage.
- Experience working with test and electrical equipment, such as power meters, light detectors, integrating spheres, cameras, current sources, voltage measurements, NI DAQ cards, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Proficiency programming in LabVIEW or Visual Studio.
- Photonics education/experience is a plus