Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs Scientific Imaging group in Austin, Texas designs and manufactures state-of-the-art digital cameras and imaging systems. We are seeking a talented, experienced FPGA design and verification engineer to contribute to the development and commercialization of a FPGA-based, high-speed, data acquisition host adapters for Thorlabs microscopy products.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Core member of the firmware development team from design to sustaining engineering
- Development of Field Programmable Gate Arrays including coding, test and functional verification, timing closure, and documentation. Emphasis on high-speed hardware data path, memory controllers, and PCIe interface
- Technology transfer from Thorlabs R&D division
- Working with internal customers to develop and finalize product requirements
- Minimum 1 year FPGA design and product commercialization experience
- Minimum Bachelor's degree or equivalent in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or physics
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated strong VHDL and/or Verilog skills; logical and physical design, timing closure
- Recent design and validation of high-speed (100+ MHz), data-intensive FPGA functional blocks such as those found in radar, lidar, or HDTV using Xilinx development and simulation tools
- Working knowledge of basic signal processing techniques
- Some familiarity with PCIe bus and host computer architectures
- Contribution to test plans and project timelines
- Management of FPGA technical risk; including analysis, simulation, prototyping, and contingency planning
- FPGA-based product commercialization
- Use of version control tools such as Git
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.