Materion Precision Coatings is one of the most diverse and technologically advanced thin film coating companies in the world. We custom manufacturer and supply precision optical filters and coatings from the UV through the Far IR for commercial, medical, defense, space, and scientific applications. We also manufacture custom Filter Arrays, Ultra-Narrow Bandpass, Linear Variable, High Reflector, Patterned Coatings, Wafer Level Coatings, Getters and flexible interconnects for medical equipment.
Supervises and performs the design, development and production of thin film coated optics while continuously improving process, equipment, materials, training and methods of fabrication.
Benchmarks of success include: Manufacturability of designs, higher yields, lower costs and new optical, mechanical performance records and ultimately satisfied customers
Demonstrated process engineering skills based on physics, optics, chemistry, material science, electronics and vacuum fundamentals.
Leads and contributes to all aspects of custom thin film manufacturing, including requirement definition, new product development, cost estimation and quoting, optical coating design, mechanical stress analysis, manufacturing instructions, fixture design, test plans, data analysis.
- Ensures vitality of Materion process capabilities.
- Responsible for process cost (profit and loss).
- Establishes process metrics.
- Develops new processes to make products (takes ownership).
- Ensures all necessary process documentation (PPAP, FMEA, control plans) exists and reside in ERP.
- Oversees and validates SPC and process improvement efforts.
- Manages and participates in process change control via QSi.
- Specifies new equipment needs.
- Initiates, tracks, and validates capital projects.
- Oversees and validates new equipment and process installation.
- Specifies process for generating run files and run sheets.
- Works with Product Development Engineer to develop monitor schemes.
- Supports Manufacturing Engineer with in process review of production and MRB.
- Supports Manufacturing Engineer in achieving or exceeding predicted process capability, yield and OEE.
- Designs tooling and masking with Product Development Engineer.
- Supports Applications Engineer and Products Design Engineer with estimating.
- Works with Application Engineer and product Development Engineer on estimating masters.
- Supports resolving customer issues and concerns with 8D’s.
- Works with Safety to provide safe process and working conditions
The above statement reflects the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the position described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the role.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must have Master’s Degree in Engineering or Science discipline. Must have mastery of Microsoft Office and strong mathematics background in order to perform statistical analysis.
15+ years hands-on optical coating experience required. Optics and optical systems background required.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Leadership - Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; inspires respect and trust.
- Managing People - Makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services.
- Decision-Making – Ability to take decisive action based on limited input, as well as to determine when higher-level management input is required.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Organized – Organizes time and written information effectively and efficiently.
- Responsive – follows up and completes action items
- Judgment – Makes sound and well-informed decisions; perceives the impact and implications of decisions; makes effective and timely decisions.