Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Looking for a dynamic SQL Server DBA with exceptional SQL skills to join our Database team at Thorlabs. We are a fast-paced and growing group that manages the complete data needs of the firm. The primary effort the database professional will be installing, developing and maintaining SQL server environments, stored procedures, SSIS packages, SSAS cubes and SSRS reports. As part of this effort, they will be required to gain an understanding of the entire data warehouse load process and troubleshoot any issues with nightly data load processes. The role will play an active part in the shaping and management of our database systems. This person will be part of a group rotation providing weekend on-call support.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Strong Experience with SQL Server Clustering, Always on Mirroring, disaster recovery techniques.
- Experience with SQL coding and performance tuning.
- Must be hands-on, technically adept DBA, capable of performing required DB tasks.
- Deep knowledge with SQL Server 2012, 2014, 2016 databases.
- Ability to diagnose problems and triage/resolve issues across various tiers (application, network, database, server, or storage tiers).
- Conduct monitoring, maintenance and development of our database solutions; including business critical reporting and BI systems.
- Troubleshoot technical issues and identify modifications needed in existing applications to meet changing user requirements.
- Manage and maintain HA/DR Plan for application systems.
- Experience working in Azure cloud such as AzureSQL, CosmosDB etc.
- Assist in the management of system backups and recovery systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Science, or equivalent work experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in developing Microsoft SSRS reports and PowerBI.
- Experience in coding T-SQL, stored procedures, functions, views and Triggers.
- Experience in fine tuning queries, procedures and indexes for performance improvement.
- SQL Development: Query writing, scripting, stored procedures, functions, performance tuning and trouble shooting.
- SSRS: Installing and configuring SSRS and development of reports
- SSAS: Cube and DWH development.
- DBA task: clustering, mirroring, replication, backup and restore.
- Good knowledge in evaluating query plans, performance views, trace files and other SQL server tools.
- Knowledge in SSAS cube development is a plus.
- Experience in Azure and NOSQL databases is plus.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.