Electro-Optical Systems Performance Modeling Scientist
|The Aerospace Corporation , El Segundo, CA, United States|
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you’ll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration – to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Integrated Sensor Design and Analysis Department supports electro-optical payload development by performing systems engineering analysis in a concurrent engineering environment. Systems are evaluated from optical, thermal, and structural perspectives. Systems engineering activities also involve development and analysis of testing methods for sensor systems and large aperture optics. We support the optical design, analysis, and testing of sensor systems from short-turnaround prototypes to Class A satellites.
- Develop modeling, simulation, and exploitation algorithms for visible and infrared imaging radiometers and spectral imaging sensors, including physical optics phenomena such as beam propagation and diffraction.
- Provide performance analysis, data processing, and design requirements for electro-optical sensor systems and payloads, including using optical design codes such as CodeV/Zemax.
- Support electro-optical payload development by performing system engineering analysis in a concurrent engineering environment.
- Lead technical teams in the execution of electro-optical systems analysis.
- Interact with senior staff and department management to solve challenging technical problems that arise on Electro-Optical sensor system programs.
- Document results from technical activities and interactions with customers and contractors with reports and/or oral presentations.
- Degree from an accredited university in optics, physics, electrical engineering or another related discipline.
- 8+ years of experience with modeling, simulation, and data analysis of visible and infrared optical sensors.
- Good theoretical understanding of optical system engineering.
- Demonstrated analytic and critical thinking skills for electro-optical sensor system performance quantification, including radiometry, stray light, optical design/ray tracing, testing, and data exploitation.
- Strong, hands-on computer programming and modeling skills in an engineering application environment such as Python, MATLAB, IDL/ENVI, or Mathematica.
- Demonstrated mentoring of junior staff in optical engineering and systems engineering.
- Demonstrated leadership of technical teams in the execution of electro-optical systems analysis.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work interactively and effectively with Air Force and government customers, and with defense contractor personnel.
- Must have or be able to obtain a Top Secret Sensitive Compartmented Information TS/SCI SSBI security clearance.
- Advanced degree in optical sciences or another relevant field.
- Demonstrated experience modeling complex optical systems and physical optical phenomena (e.g. beam propagation, diffraction, coherence).
- Demonstrated analytic and critical thinking skills for pan chromatic, multi-, and hyperspectral visible and infrared electro-optical sensor system performance quantification, including radiometry, stray light, optical design/ray-tracing, testing, and data exploitation.
- Demonstrated experience with optical design code such as CodeV and/or Zemax, experience with stray light code such as FRED, and other related optical software packages such as LightTools.