Fiberoptic Communications and LIDAR Systems Scientist / Engineer
|The Aerospace Corporation , El Segundo, CA, United States|
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you’ll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration – to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Photonics Technology Department at the Aerospace Corporation is seeking a qualified "and highly" motivated scientist or engineer to join our research team in the development of free-space optical/laser communications, fiber laser development for "laser-based" remote sensing systems and integrated photonic devices. Our projects encompass state-of-the-art component and prototype development for demonstrations in the field or in space or insertion in future space systems. Our efforts support a number of DOD applications as well civil and commercial enterprises such as NASA.
- Current projects are centered around the development, characterization, and demonstration of photonic components and concepts for enhancing the performance of optical communications and remote sensing for space and airborne vehicles
- Goals range from proof-of-principle demonstrations to delivery of mission payloads and operational support
- Participating in ongoing laboratory efforts as well as develop new capabilities
- Assiting in field operations as needed and is expected to participate in technical advisory teams for Aerospace customers
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or related field with a minimum of five years of professional experience or an advanced degree
- Experience with fiberoptic systems, which includes either fiber lasers and amplifiers, optical communications or waveguide technologies
- Ability to obtain and maintain DoD clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required
- Skills in optical waveforms, fiberoptics, fiber laser technology, high-speed digital electronics, detection technologies, nonlinear optics, and other photonic related areas.