Electro-Optical Systems Engineer
|The Aerospace Corporation , El Segundo, CA, United States|
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you’ll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration – to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Integrated Sensor Design and Analysis Department supports electro-optical payload development by performing systems engineering analysis in a concurrent engineering environment. Systems are evaluated from optical, thermal, and structural perspectives. Systems engineering activities also involve development and analysis of testing methods for sensor systems and large aperture optics. We support the optical design, analysis, and testing of sensor systems from short-turnaround prototypes to Class A satellites.
- Provide performance analysis of electro-optical sensor systems for assessing proposed designs and developing technical performance requirements, including using optical design codes.
- Generate novel sensor concepts to meet evolving customer requirements.
- Develop modeling, simulation, and exploitation algorithms for visible and infrared imaging radiometers and spectral imaging sensors.
- Develop optical testing methods for electro-optical systems.
- Lead technical teams in the execution of electro-optical systems analysis.
- Mentor junior staff in optical engineering and systems engineering principles.
- Interact with senior staff and department management to solve challenging technical problems that arise on EO sensor system programs.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in optics, physics electrical engineering or another related discipline OR 15+ years relevant hands-on experience in the optical industry.
- Minimum 2 years of experience with modeling, simulation, and data analysis of visible and infrared optical sensors.
- Demonstrated leadership of technical teams in the execution of electro-optical systems analysis.
- Demonstrated mentoring of junior staff in optical engineering and systems engineering.
- Good theoretical understanding of optical system engineering including analysis and testing.
- Good analytic skills in electro-optical sensor performance including radiometry, stray light, optical design, and testing.
- Demonstrated strong analytical problem-solving skills in visible and infrared electro-optical sensor performance, including radiometry, pan-chromatic, multi-, and hyperspectral image processing and exploitation.
- Strong computer programming skills in an engineering application environment such as MATLAB, ENVI/IDL, or Mathematica.
- Demonstrated experience with optical design code such as CodeV and/or Zemax, experience with stray light code such as FRED, and other related optical software packages such as LightTools and SolidWorks.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work interactively and effectively with Air Force and government customers, and with contractor personnel.
- Must have or be able to obtain a Top Secret SCI SSBI security clearance issued by the DoD (US citizenship required).
- Advanced degree.
- Laboratory experience with optical instrumentation and setups.