Electro - Optical Engineer
|The Aerospace Corporation , El Segundo, CA, United States|
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you’ll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration – to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Integrated Sensor Design and Analysis Department supports electro-optical payload development by performing systems engineering analysis in a concurrent engineering environment. Systems are evaluated from optical, thermal, and structural perspectives. Systems engineering activities also involve development and analysis of testing methods for sensor systems and large aperture optics. We support the optical design, analysis, and testing of sensor systems from short-turnaround prototypes to Class A satellites.
- Provide performance analysis of electro-optical sensor systems for assessing proposed designs and developing technical performance requirements, including using optical design codes.
- Generate novel sensor concepts to meet evolving customer requirements, including opto-mechanical designs for implementation and build.
- Develop modeling, simulation, and exploitation algorithms for visible and infrared imaging radiometers and spectral imaging sensors.
- Develop optical testing methods and necessary opto-mechanical setups for electro-optical systems.
- Interact with senior staff and department management to solve challenging technical problems that arise on EO sensor system programs.
- Masters degree completed from accredited college/university in optics, physics or electrical engineering.
- Minimum 0-1 years of experience with modeling, simulation, and data analysis of remotely sensed data from visible and infrared optical sensors
- Minimum 0-1 years of experience with opto-mechanical design for optical sensors.
- Good theoretical understanding of optical system engineering including analysis and testing
- Good analytic skills in electro-optical sensor performance including radiometry, stray light, optical design, and testing
- Demonstrated strong analytical problem solving skills in visible and infrared electro-optical sensor performance, including radiometry, pan chromatic, multi-, and hyperspectral image processing and exploitation
- Strong computer programming skills in an engineering application environment such as MATLAB, ENVI/IDL, or Mathematica
- Demonstrated experience with optical design code such as CodeV and/or Zemax, experience with stray light code such as FRED, and other related optical software packages such as LightTools and SolidWorks
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work interactively and effectively with Air Force and government customers, and with contractor personnel
- Must have or be able to obtain an SCI SSBI security clearance
- Laboratory experience with optical instrumentation and set ups