A-Tech Corporation, d.b.a. Applied Technology Associates (ATA), is a privately-held, Hispanic-owned small business and headquartered in Albuquerque. ATA also has operations in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Huntsville, Alabama, Chantilly, Virginia, Greenbelt MD and White Sands Missile Range. ATA is an advanced technology and products company that delivers space, airborne, and ground-based systems to government, aerospace, and commercial customers for imaging, high energy laser, inertial navigation, space systems, and laser communications applications with specialization in precision pointing, line-of-sight stabilization, and real-time software and controls products and systems. ATA has numerous engineering and program management positions open.
ATA develops embedded processing systems for commercial and DoD applications. Our primary focus involves the application of state-of-the art, FPGA and System-On-Chip (SOC) devices to high performance video processing, adaptive optics, laser communications, imaging sensors, and a wide range of real-time control systems for inertial measurement units, fast steering mirrors, and stabilized telescopes. ATA is looking for qualified candidates who are interested in working within a small, agile, innovative team and who share a strong desire to create a work environment that is highly collaborative, rewarding and fun.
ATA is seeking an experienced optical engineer or senior technician to be responsible for ATA’s Laser Communications Laboratory. Projects would vary from technology development, to laboratory test set ups, to defining and conducting experiments, to low-volume production. The candidate is expected to be very hands-on and experienced in a laboratory and clean room setting. The candidate would show capability and interest in understanding optical design and analysis, while taking responsibility to integrate and test precision optical subsystems for airborne and spacecraft applications. The candidate should be knowledgeable in operating laser sources, detectors, alignment systems, scanning mirrors and fast steering mirrors, telescopes, gimbals, and other related optical pointing and stabilization systems. The candidate would work in a team environment with one or more engineers and/or technicians per project. The candidate must have skills and experience with optical test equipment (e.g., interferometers), laser sources, fiber optics, and various detectors. The candidate would be responsible for maintaining an optics laboratory in an orderly and clean condition, including maintaining necessary supplies, cabinets, tools and equipment in good working order.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with strong critical thinking skills, demonstrated self-starter characteristics, and be capable of assembling optical subsystems and test configurations based on general directions from Optical and Mechanical Project Engineers. The candidate must be able to adapt between technology development projects and the formalisms (processes & procedures) associated with building space-qualified or production hardware.
- A combination of 5-7 years of work experience (with optical or electro-optical systems) and a Masters Degree or Ph.D, or a combination of 10 years of (optical or electro-optical) work experience and a Bachelors Degree.
- Experience with optical laboratory test equipment, test configurations and test execution.
- Experience with lab control software (e.g. LabVIEW), analysis software (e.g. MATLAB), and similar related tools.
- Ability to quickly adapt to different projects and to work several projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated good communication skills (technical writing, verbal presentations).
- Ability and willingness to perform moderate physical tasks, such as lifting, carrying, bending, continuous standing.
- Perform other tasks, including, but not limited to: maintaining laboratory equipment, ordering supplies, and equipment.
- Some travel may be required.
- Potential for supporting extended work weeks during differing project phases, as necessary.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a US Department of Defense Secret Security Clearance (Note a clearance will not be required initially).
- Bachelor’s degree in Optical Engineering is a bonus.
- Experience with space flight hardware is a bonus
Travel: Yes, estimate less than 10% of the time
Relocation Available: Yes
ATA is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability employer. Please send all resumes, including cover letters, to Human Resources at Applied Technology Associates, 1300 Britt Street SE, Albuquerque, NM 87123. You may also fax them to (505) 998-2397, or e-mail them to ATAJobs@atacorp.com.
PLEASE REFER TO DOCKET ATA20180807.