A-Tech Corporation, d.b.a. Applied Technology Associates (ATA), is a privately-held, Hispanic-owned small business and headquartered in Albuquerque, New Mexico. ATA also has operations in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Huntsville, Alabama, Chantilly, Virginia, Greenbelt MD and White Sands Missile Range.
ATA is an advanced technology and products company that delivers space, airborne, and ground-based systems to government, aerospace, and commercial customers for imaging, high energy laser, inertial navigation, space systems, and laser communications applications with specialization in precision pointing, line-of-sight stabilization, and real-time software and controls products and systems. ATA has numerous engineering and program management positions open.
ATA develops embedded processing systems for commercial and DoD applications. Our primary focus involves the application of state-of-the art, FPGA and System-On-Chip (SOC) devices to high performance video processing, adaptive optics, laser communications, imaging sensors, and a wide range of real-time control systems for inertial measurement units, fast steering mirrors, and stabilized telescopes. ATA is looking for qualified candidates who are interested in working within a small, agile, innovative team and who share a strong desire to create a work environment that is highly collaborative, rewarding and fun.
ATA is seeking an experienced Embedded Systems Engineer in support to the Air Force Research Laboratory Space Vehicles Advanced Technology (SVAT) contract. The engineer will be an integral member of a joint Government and contractor team that operates in a very dynamic environment. The engineer’s duties will span research and development in formulating focal plane array (FPA) characterization concepts, test system design and FPA integration, testing feasibility, designing and conducting experiments, preparation for radiation environment experiments, execution of such experiments, modeling and data analysis, performance characterization, and presenting results to customer(s). In addition, the engineer may be required to assist on other Space Vehicles Advanced Technology (SVAT) contract-related tasks as needed.
The Engineer’s duties will include:
- Work directly with detector and read-out integrated circuit (ROIC) electronics hardware to characterize focal plane array performance, to debug operational issues, and to radiometrically characterize devices in clear and radiation environments
- Work closely with team members on FPA integration into test systems, including mechanical interfacing, electronic board design, software development, and operational analysis
- Use of Interface Control Documents (ICD) and customer interaction to initiate characterization and validation of prototype FPA performance
- Use of FPGA workflow, including design, simulation, block-level verification, synthesis, timing, lab bench testing
- Embedded Software coding and supporting higher-level test software via scripts written in C/.net/visual basic…
- Develop specific metrics for test and guidance on laboratory methods to test individual system components
- Comprehensive documentation of the following for each FPA project:
- Test methodology, test plan and execution
- Test system interface design and development: mechanical, electrical, FPGA, software
- Presentations of radiometric and radiation-tolerance data analysis
- Leadership of overall technical effort as it pertains to FPA performance for operational systems
- Identify opportunities for internal research and development programs and lead funded projects to success
- Promote development of a strong team by participating in key aspects of individual projects and mentoring junior team members
- Delegate by establishing clear expectations and by providing well-defined tasks with clear entrance/exit criteria, due dates, etc….
- Support Business Development activities, for example:
- Support and/or lead customer interactions
- Identify new opportunities with existing and/or new customers
- Support the capture of new opportunities
- Support proposals (e.g. lead sections involving technical area of responsibility, provide cost estimates, etc.)
- Represent ATA well with customers
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s or PhD in Engineering or Physics
- Active Department of Defense Security Clearance
- Experience in research and development of focal plane arrays, detector arrays, or ROICs
- Design, development, characterization, and analysis of visible (CCDs, Si PINs) and infrared focal plane arrays
- Reviewing detector and ROIC designs and layouts
- Low-noise focal plane array detectors used in space-based applications
- Detector performance including radiometric analysis, noise analysis, MTF analysis, radiation effects analysis
- Ability to understand and perform radiation effects testing and analysis
- Total-ionizing dose (TID), Single-event Effects (SEE), and Displacement damage
- Radiation environments including gamma rays, heavy ions, protons, x-rays
- High-speed digital circuit design
- Experience with FPGAs (Xilinx), VHDL/Verilog, System Verilog, Quartus, and associated simulation and synthesis tools
- Scripting and data analysis tools, such as IGOR, Matlab, OriginPro, .Net, C variants, Visual Basic
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are nominally Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Out-of-area and overnight travel occasionally
Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, NM
ATA prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ATA conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. Please send all resumes, including cover letters, to Human Resources at Applied Technology Associates, 1300 Britt Street SE, Albuquerque, NM 87123. You may also fax them to (505) 998-2397, or e-mail them to ATAJobs@atacorp.com. PLEASE REFER TO DOCKET ATA20181220.