OptaSense is a world leader in Distributed Acoustic Sensing and proud to provide vital information to help protect and secure the world's critical assets.
Drawing on decades of experience in the signal processing world, OptaSense is able to turn standard single mode telecoms fibre into a listening device up to 50km in length. OptaSense is rapidly expanding, with growth built on providing cutting edge solutions and excellent service to clients with security and monitoring requirements in tough environments. The OptaSense system has been deployed successfully worldwide and we now have operations in over 35 countries, in industries such as Oil and Gas, Transport and Security.
Join a challenging, dynamic and fast growing business with an exciting portfolio of international clients working on some of the most critical and exciting projects around the planet.
OptaSense is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status.
The purpose of the Sr. Laser Designer is to design low-noise lasers, gain chips and PLCs to meet Optasense/RIO’s customer requirements.
- Model and design semiconductor-based lasers, including gain elements and optical components of DBR/ECL laser cavity
- Lead efforts to test and optimize cavity designs, facilitate close collaboration with optical component foundries to optimize specifications and processing
- Perform Bragg gratings design and optimization
- Lead qualifications and participate in transfer to production
- Propose novel concepts for next generation products
- Write reports and contribute to proposals for new development
- Support manufacturing engineering in optimizing components, processes and yield improvement
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of integrated optics, planar waveguides design and Bragg grating design and fabrication
- Understanding of noise sources and ways to reduce them in semiconductor optical devices
- Self-motivated and strong team player
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work in an office setting and clean room/laboratory.
- While performing duties of this job, must be able to sit at desk for long periods of time, occasionally stand or walk, frequently use hands (keyboarding, use of mouse, etc.) and occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to use standard office equipment including phone, copier, email and computer
- Ability to work evenings and weekends depending on business needs
Experience & Qualifications:
- Extensive hands-on experience in advanced semiconductor laser technology with strong emphasis in device design and fabrication
- 10 to 15 years of III-V semiconductor laser diode design and fabrication experience is required.
- Strong industrial experience in device simulation, fabrication, test and reliability assessment
- Experience in design and fabrication of commercial products is required.
- Hands-on experience with optoelectronics and integrated optics development modelling tools like VPI, Beamprop, Fullwave, LaserMod, etc.
- Advanced degree in Physics or Engineering: PhD with 5+ years of experience, MS with 10+ years of experience
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)