Defense Research Associates, Inc. is a veteran-owned small business that specializes in providing research and development work on Missile Warning and Detect and Avoid systems for the Department of Defense. We specialize in EO/IR sensors, Algorithm Development, Software and Hardware development. We offer a very competitive compensation package with excellent benefits and a relaxed friendly work environment. We promote a learning environment where continuing your education/training is always encouraged. For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.dra-engineering.com.
The Lead Optical Engineer position requires managing a small optical laboratory, including specifying and ordering hardware; setting up, operating and troubleshooting optical diagnostic hardware; building and testing new instrumentation concepts; interpreting and evaluating test data; and developing/maintaining a growth plan for the laboratory. The successful candidate will lead a small group of engineers to support research to develop/demonstrate innovative applications of current and projected sensor technologies.
- BS degree in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Physics is required. Master's or Ph.D. degrees are desirable but are not required.
- Minimum five years of experience in an optical or an electro-optical laboratory is required. Experience in a university laboratory is acceptable. Must have experience leading or managing a team.
- Experience with Matlab and LabView (or similar) are highly desirable.
- Familiarity with Zemax or equivalent, design of experiments, optical diagnostic hardware, CCD/CMOS cameras, camera interfaces, radiometric measurements, lasers, illumination sources, optical filters and breadboarding optical instrumentation is required.
- Limited out-of-town travel (approximately four times per year) will be required to participate in field tests, to attend conferences or training classes.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Efficient use of time is a must as the successful candidate will be required to support multiple programs.
- CANDIDATE MUST HAVE A CURRENT US SECURITY CLEARANCE IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60‐1.4(a), 60‐300.5(a) and 60‐741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.