Alcon, Enhancing Quality of Life by Helping People See Better
As the global leader in eye care, Alcon develops and manufactures innovative medicines and devices to serve the full life cycle of eye care needs. As the global leader in eye care, we take our corporate responsibilities seriously, and continually strive to do the right thing for our customers and their patients, our company, our employees, our stakeholders and our communities. Alcon has more than 20,000 associates in 74 countries, collectively working to provide innovative products that enhance quality of life by helping people see better.
At Alcon, we recognize that our success depends on the creativity, dedication and performance of our associates. That’s why we foster a performance-oriented culture that encourages achievement through collaboration and innovation. This culture is reflected in our product pipeline, one of the most exciting in the industry today. We depend on our diverse and talented associates to bring a full spectrum of innovative medicines and devices to patients that address their eye care needs, creating one of the most rewarding work environments in our industry.
Diversity helps drive Alcon’s innovation. As our customer base becomes increasingly diverse, employing individuals with a variety of backgrounds becomes critical in being able to better understand patient and customer needs, and provide innovative solutions. We value the differences amongst our associates! This extends to inclusive leadership and teamwork, an essential component of our collaborative culture. By enabling individuals and groups to contribute their unique perspectives, we are allowing for more creative ideas and better solutions.
This position will oversee and direct activities of an engineering group developing optical and fiber optic based devices for surgical instrumentation in a matrix based organization. In this role you will provide in-depth knowledge of surgical instrumentation domain as a technical leader across a range of engineering disciplines including Optical, Fiber Optics, Opto-mechanical, and Materials.
- Management and leadership of a group of optical and photonics engineers with emphasis on technical leadership and team building.
- Direct the design, assembly, alignment, measurement, testing, analysis, and troubleshooting of optical, illumination, fiber optic, laser delivery, and single-use devices.
- Lead medical device development activities such as prototyping and testing, pilot builds, V&V, risk assessment, and ramp-up to production validation.
- Technical leader and SME for the organization who mentors peers about the domain and related technology.
- Derive product design requirements based on top-level commercial input.
- Support all aspects of documentation and design control through ECN, ECO, and Wind-chill.
- Contribute to patent portfolio and strategy development.
- Identify technical, project schedule, and commercial viability risks.
- Run cross-functional trade-off reviews and drive to design decisions.
- The ideal candidate will have:
- Several years of management experience
- Proven ability to build and lead engineering teams
- Several years using industry standard tools and methods for optical, photonic and electro-optical systems engineering
- Optics, Fiber Optics, Opto-mechanics and lasers domain knowledge
- Architecture design, requirements & risk management, medical device V&V, reprocessing and single-use devices
- Development knowledge in: fiber optic energy delivery devices, probes and illuminators
- Precision manufacturing techniques: micro-optical and miniature opt mechanical components assembly
- Biomedical product / medical device development experience
- Knowledge of optical components, complex sub-systems and OEM supplier management
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of directly related experience (HS +15 yrs; Assoc.+11 yrs; M.S.+4 yrs; PhD+3 yrs)
- The ability to fluently read, write, understand and communicate in English
- 7 Years of Relevant Experience
- 5 Years of Demonstrated Leadership
- Preferred Skills/Experiences:
- ZEMAX, Code V, Light ToolsPhysical optics
- Materials engineering and/or science knowledge related to optical materials and polymers
- Ophthalmic domain knowledge (Cataract, Vit-Ret, Refractive Surgery, or Diagnostics)