Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Technical Writing Scientist, Imaging Specialist
Thorlabs is currently seeking applications from scientists who are highly familiar with a wide range of imaging techniques and who have built imaging systems from the ground up to develop technical content describing Thorlabs’ imaging portfolio and detailing their applications.
The successful candidate will join a team of highly motivated individuals who have built an industry-leading online resource for our customers and participate in defining and developing Thorlabs’ next generation of products and services. In support of that mission, he or she should have had extensive experience building imaging systems, worked with a multitude of imaging modalities, be able to see linkages between Thorlabs’ product lines, and be able to make recommendations for improvements to our product offering and web functionality. In addition to extensive laboratory experience, the candidate should also have strong writing and presentation skills in English, excellent organizational skills, the ability to work under time constraints, and a desire to learn about new technologies.
Technical writing scientists partner with graphic artists to create marketing collateral. Original product content is written based on information from application specialists, product managers, R&D engineers, and key customers as well as knowledge gained from using similar products in the field. Hence, this position requires strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
The Technical Writing Scientist, Imaging Specialist role is located in Newton, NJ, although travel to Sterling, VA to work with our Imaging Systems team will be required periodically. Interested candidates should apply online at www.thorlabs.com/careers.
- Writes marketing content and oversees projects detailing the features and applications of Thorlabs’ imaging portfolio
- Works closely with key technical contacts to learn about advanced and cutting edge imaging techniques and produces collateral to describe those techniques and guide customers in preforming them
- Builds application images or tradeshow demonstrations that help customers understand how products are utilized within a lab environment
- Proposes and implement plans for website reorganization and improvements
- Develops and implements search engine optimization projects for various imaging-related product lines
- Partners with the graphics staff to create product videos and animations
- Participates in defining new products and/or product enhancements
- Identifies or invents new web tools and features that improve customers’ experiences when interacting with our website
- Bachelor Degree plus 5 years applicable work experience or an Advanced Degree in Physics, Biophysics, Biomedical Optics, Biomedical Engineering, or a Related Field
- Native Language Writing Skills in English
- Extensive Laboratory Experience with Imaging Systems
- Strong Organizational and Planning Skills
- Ability to Multitask, Be Detail Oriented, and to Solve Problems, All While Under Tight Time Constraints
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.