Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The Portfolio Specialist role provides an opportunity to spearhead web-based, marketing-related initiatives and projects that strengthen Thorlabs’ position as a leading manufacturer of photonics equipment. The ideal candidate will hold a Ph.D. degree in physics, optics, lasers, imaging, or a related field and have extensive laboratory experience that has led to deep familiarity with vast portions of the Thorlabs portfolio.
The successful candidate will join a team of highly motivated individuals who have built an industry-leading online resource for our customers and participate in defining and developing Thorlabs’ next generation of products and services. In support of that mission, he or she should be highly familiar with a wide range of photonics equipment, be able to see linkages between Thorlabs’ product lines, and be able to make significant recommendations for improvement to our product offerings and web functionality. In addition to extensive laboratory experience, the candidate should also have strong writing and presentation skills in English, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to work under time constraints.
The Photonics Portfolio Specialist will work closely with our team of technical writing scientists and graphic artists, as well as the broader Thorlabs community of engineers and business unit leaders, to bring to fruition approved proposals. To be successful, the position requires strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Develops comprehensive knowledge of Thorlabs’ product portfolio
- Leverages extensive product knowledge to identify, implement, and track major website enhancements aimed at improving product performance
- Develops and implements website architecture/organization improvements
- Reviews material submitted by technical writing scientists to ensure presentations meet Thorlabs’ standards for technical accuracy, writing style, and aesthetics
- Identifies or invents new web tools and features that improve customers’ experiences when interacting with our website
- Develops and implements search engine optimization projects for various product lines
- Participates in defining and developing new products and/or product enhancements
- Provides management with data necessary to optimally market products and product lines
- Provide insight into meaningful application images for use in various forms of marketing collateral
- Additional responsibilities may include representing the organization at tradeshows or conferences
- Ph.D. in Physics, Optics, Lasers, or a related field. Postdoc experience is a plus.
- Strong writing and presentation skills in English
- Extensive hands-on laboratory experience with exposure to multiple product lines
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Ability to multitask, be detail oriented, and solve problems, all while under tight time constraints
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.