Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
This position requires comprehensive knowledge of Opto-Mechanical components and systems with an expertise in the design and manufacture of translation and rotation stages. The Sr. Engineer is responsible for researching, planning, and designing mechanical products and systems. This position directs and coordinates activities involved in fabrication, operation, application, and repair of mechanical products and systems. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Analyzes and researches design requirements and specifications to determine feasibility of design or application.
- Designs Opto-Mechanical motion control products
- Plans/directs engineering personnel in method of fabrication for designs based on expected manufacturing quantity usage.
- Influences/plans product test procedures to ensure each design is meets its target specifications.
- Directs and coordinates fabrication and installation activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications.
- Responsible for data entry, document revision and control in the Thorlabs ERP system.
- Oversee the design and development of large engineering efforts
- Provide guidance to keep design progression moving forward
- R&D of new engineering efforts to expand business
- Internal approval/rejection of designs prior to final approval.
- Mentoring of Jr. Engineers, Peer+ mentoring of Engineers
- Demonstrated commercial success of product put to market
- Supervisory responsibilities as determined by the engineering manager. E.g., ECOs, tech support inquiries, etc
- Business Development and OEM specials
- Minimum 10 years of experience in mechanical engineering design.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related field
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Working knowledge on SolidWorks or similar 3D modeling software.
- Strong proficiency in MS office and communication tools.
- Excellent statistical data analysis and problem solving abilities.
- Effectively reports progress and problems through written or oral reports.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Strong innovation skill.
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.