At Coherent, Inc., we have harnessed the power of light to become the world's leading independent designer, manufacturer and supplier of high-powered precision electro-optical components and laser-based solutions for medical, scientific and commercial applications. And although that alone is impressive, what truly makes Coherent, Inc. unique is our work environment. It's a strong, stable work environment that values the individual and places a premium on teamwork. Couple that with tremendous growth potential and the only thing that'll will be growing faster than Coherent will be your career. With an incredible range of innovative medical, scientific and commercial lasers, Coherent, Inc. is home to the most talented professionals in the laser and optical industry. Come learn more about us. We're searching for others like ourselves to join the brightest team in the business.
We're looking for an energetic and detail-oriented product design engineer to manage projects in our growing world-class custom optics fabrication and optical subsystem businesses at Coherent. Our Coherent Tinsley Optics product line delivers custom high-precision aspheric optics and opto-mechanical assemblies, primarily to the aerospace and defense markets. The ideal candidate is an optics industry veteran with deep knowledge of optics manufacturing. This position is ideal for someone who excels at project management, and wants to have a direct impact on the customer experience and overall business unit results. The role entails managing various custom optic projects by coordinating cross-functionally across sales, product management, engineering and operations to deliver new products, improve the profitability and production capacity of existing products, and to create a positive customer experience. The position is based in Richmond, California, approximately 30 minutes north east from San Francisco.
- Manage custom optic and opto-mechanical assembly fabrication projects from the end of the sales process through product realization.
- Serve as a centralized resource that coordinates with sales, product management, engineering, operations, and quality functions.
- Deliver regular project updates to technically sophisticated, and detail-oriented customers (the customer portfolio includes high-end commercial, aerospace, military and government organizations).
- Proactively identify and mitigate project technical, schedule, and financial risks.
- Manage change requests to ensure successful and on-time project delivery.
- Produce customer required reports and other contractual deliverables.
- Present project technical, schedule and budget status to internal stakeholders.
- Support manufacturing engineering, supply chain, and planning functions by providing insight into customer requirements.
- Drive resolution of quality issues, including those requiring customer inputs.
- Drive feasibility studies, vendor selections and proposal evaluation by appropriate business unit stakeholders.
- Define the Statement of Work and Specifications for subcontracted processes (precision machining, coating, etc.)