Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The Field Service Engineer is tasked with supporting a World Wide field service strategy for the evolving life science product lines. The position helps develop programs for after sales installation, Preventive Maintenance and service contracts to support a growing line of imaging systems, optical tweezers and ultrafast lasers. The candidate must have a solid understanding of the life science industry; optics and microscopy experience is preferred. The position maybe field based. Must be willing to travel up to 75%.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Install new systems
- Perform voluntary warranty related service at customer sites
- Improve internal and external service reporting
- Execute Preventive Maintenance program for existing customers
- Promote service contracts for customers
- Document field service activities
- Improve customer response time
- Assist system installation and evaluation for tradeshows
- Minimum 5 years hands-on experience aligning, maintaining and servicing optical equipment including lasers and microscopes preferred
- Prior field service experience
- Direct customer relationship experience
- BS in Engineering Technology, EE, Biomedical Science, Physics or equivalent. Technical school/military experience considered.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficient in Windows based PC machine use, especially MS Office and other communication tools.
- Ability to work independently, and ability to work in a team environment and comply with high quality standards as well.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills.
- Strong business acumen
- Understanding of customer/marketplace and drivers that influence customer behavior
- Strong problem solving/analysis skills related to field service
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.