Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
As part of the TQE team, the optoelectronic module assembly manager is responsible for, but not limited to, managing all aspects of rapidly growing VCSEL modules assembly, providing leadership to team of technicians in a fast paced environment; Support new product development / introduction. The location of the position is in Jessup, MD.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for on time delivery of VCSEL modules
- Assign and prioritize work for a team of technicians.
- Execute the production schedule per plan to meet customer deliveries
- Manage quality and productivity issues in the assembly area
- Execute daily, weekly and monthly production goals
- Work closely with planning, supply chain, manufacturing and test engineering teams.
- Responsible for implementing corrective actions as appropriate in the assembly operations.
- Ensure Lean team principles implemented
- Recruit, train and retain top assembly talent.
- Ensure that health and safety guidelines are followed in the assembly area.
- Minimum 5 year of managing assembly operations in a semiconductor or optoelectronic packaging / modules assembly.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical/electronics/mechanical/materials science or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in integrating electronic and fiber optic components in modules and sub-systems
- Thorough knowledge and experience of manufacturing best practices
- Experience with ERP systems ( Microsoft AX preferred)
- Ability to multi task with strong sense of urgency
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good understanding of Lean methodology
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.