Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position performs general drafting and product support under the direct supervision of engineers. Assists in the development of new products through the generation of technical drawings, standardized documents, and data entry. Provides support to production with troubleshooting and product modification. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, the very rare occasion may require undertaking duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the product development with a willingness to learn about products relating to thin film coatings, lenses, polarization optics, prisms, gratings, opto-mechanics, collimators, isolators, spectroscopy accessories, microscopy sub-assemblies, etc.
- Prepare solid models and technical drawings, generate controlled documents, and input data based on design proposals.
- Support development through aid in market analysis, identifying applications, gathering customer requests, manufacturing capabilities, costs, capacity, projected sales, and any other driving forces.
- Assists in the development ensuring product repeatability manufacturability, and availability.
- Aid engineers and production in testing and collection of data.
- Implement assigned drawing and documentation modifications.
- Interact with production personnel to define and solve manufacturing/design issues and implement cost reduction ideas with regard to company products.
- Perform liaison function between engineering team and all manufacturing operations for any related issues, problems, or improvements.
- Formalize technical data such as qualification test procedures, acceptance test procedures, reports, component maintenance manuals, etc.
- Interact with vendors and purchasers concerning supplied and proposed components.
- Responsible for changes and issues resulting from projects worked on.
- Assists lab testing, manufacturing, quality, and planning as required.
- Advise supervisor of work status, workload, problems and progress as related to work assignments.
- Some industry experience is desirable, but not required.
- High School diploma or equivalent. Advantageous having a technical degree, preferably in or relating to Drafting, Manufacturing, Statistics/Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Optics/Photonics, but not required.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency in basic computer programs (Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Word) and web tools
- Willingness to acquire new skills and knowledge, particular to job function and optics
- Proficiency in comprehending and generating technical drawings
- Experience with 3-D modeling applications, ideally Solidworks, and best practices
- Familiar with ERP software and data entry
- Proficient with documentation such as ECRO’s, Item Master, BoMs, and Routes
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a group environment through good written and verbal communication skills
- Possess basic mechanical aptitude and use of hand tools
- Clear sense of ownership and ability to work independently
- A familiarity with programming is desirable
- Comfortable shifting between tasks to accommodate changing production needs creating dynamic priorities
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.